Cerebral palsy is a medical condition that significantly impacts a child’s muscles. As a result, your offspring may have trouble with coordination, extreme stiffness, and sometimes slowed mental capacity. Therefore, as a parent, it is natural to want to protect your kid and try limiting their physical movement, so their condition does not become aggravated.
However, while cerebral palsy can be slightly challenging to live with, it should not be the reason for holding back your child. Several activities and sports your child can partake in can boost their well-being. So, what enriching programs does your child need to be a part of? Here’s what you need to know:
A cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that impact different body parts, primarily attacking the muscles. As a result, your child may have trouble with their coordination and balance. On the other hand, extreme cases can include impaired vision and hearing coupled with difficulty in voluntary movements. While most cases of Cerebral Palsy happen at birth, a few issues arise because of other factors that hinder brain development. In the former circumstance, during delivery, if your child is unable to receive enough oxygen, it can cause severe brain damage, leading to cerebral palsy. This damage comes under medical malpractice.
The healthcare staff is responsible for both the mother and child during birth, and if the team fails to provide the necessary care, you may prosecute them. By looking into birth malpractice, you are well within your rights to file a claim and hold the medical practitioners liable for endangering your child’s life. While cerebral palsy is complex, your child can still lead a fulfilling life. It is possible through care, attention, and following specialists’ advice to the T to ensure your child gets the best possible treatment.
The best activities for cerebral palsy are those that allow your child to work with areas of their brain damaged due to injury. This consistent engagement enables your child to practice repeated movements and get into the habit of moving their body a certain way. For instance, if your kid has poor hand control, they should look into activities that require using their hands and practicing their grip. Therefore, to help you learn more about different activities your children can do. Here’s what you need to know:
Creativity engages the mind, and there is no authentic medium than painting that attests to this concept. Art gives children with cerebral palsy a medium to express themselves. These kids may find it hard to talk, be emotionally vulnerable, or lack communication tools. However, arts and crafts allow children to reclaim their strength. They can try abstract art, portrait painting, and even sculpting.
These will enable the kid to use their hands, practice repeated motions, exercise their joints, and soon get into the habit of creating vast murals without dropping their brush. You may also notice they have no trouble picking up canvases and holding the most delicate tool without dropping them. A child’s emotional well-being gets a boost when they draw, paint and color what they feel without the need to push themselves out of their comfort zone.
Using horses to encourage healing is a type of physical therapy called hippo therapy. By riding a horse, your child can fix their posture and improve coordination and balance, allowing them to hold their ground. The way the horse races, jumps and trots – all encourage the child to adjust to the horse’s motion. This continual movement helps your kid to tighten their muscles and keep up with the horse’s speed without losing focus. Horses are also great emotional companions. These emotionally supportive animals can also help your kids work through their emotions and express them. The only catch is your baby must bond with the horse to lean on it for support.
Adaptive sports like archery can help children with cerebral play deal with mental health problems. Playing any sport can be exciting for your child. They may also like a simple event like throwing and catching the ball. However, the more you encourage your child to participate in sports, the more such activities will uplift their mood. Your offspring may no longer show signs of depression and anxiety. In addition, recreational sports reduce all forms of psychological stress in children by at least 40%. If you begin doing these activities biweekly, the amount can go down to 50%.
Music activates the different brain and nervous system areas to connect the notes with rhythm and movement. A child who listens to good music may respond to it by jumping in the same place or using their arms and legs. This therapy can help children with cerebral palsy get a better sense of rhythm. Music reduces the heart and blood pressure of any child with cerebral palsy. However, listening to music tracks and focusing only on the rhythm and melody can help them develop a better attention span.
Music with shorter rhythms is about catching attention and works well for kids. Use more straightforward rhythms if you want your child to focus on a trivial task like picking up a fork. But if you want them to remember names, you need longer beats. So Musical Therapy allows the cerebral process to modify itself and trigger strong emotional responses. You may notice your child communicating better, relaxing in their chair, and having fewer breakdowns.
Cerebral palsy is a collection of disorders that can impact a child in various ways. Your baby may develop weak muscles and have trouble using them to move around. It can pose a significant challenge since they may get restricted to only one spot. However, you can try out some activities to help your child improve their physical and mental capabilities.
Cerebral palsy is a condition that marks a lack of brain development, but these holistic activities can boost mental engagement. Your choices may include encouraging your child to paint, ride a horse, or participate in a sport. In some cases, you may also expose them to music which boosts cognitive function and thinking, allowing them to communicate with you.
Umar Nisar was born and raised in the busy city of Abbottabad. As a journalist, Umar Nisar has contributed to many online publications including PAK Today and the Huffing Post. In regards to academics, Umar Nisar earned a degree in business from the Abbottabad UST, Havelian. Umar Nisar follows the money and covers all aspects of emerging tech here at The Hear Up.
Summer Skin Recovery Tips: How To Correct Skin Discoloration Afterward
So you had the best summer ever, spending time on the beach and trekking through the woods to see the beautiful sunset. But these adventures may have taken a toll on your skin, and you may start a tan or sunspots creeping up on your skin.
Sunspots, also known as age spots or liver spots, are a type of skin discoloration that occurs when your skin is exposed to sunlight for long periods of time. So you must be wondering how to get rid of sun spots or a tan after spending some beautiful days out in the sun. Well, there are some excellent home remedies that you can try out to restore your natural skin tone quickly. Scroll down to check them out!
Helpful Skin Recovery Tips After Sun Exposure
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice has bleaching properties, which makes it a beneficial home remedy for de-tanning your skin. Here’s how to use it:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of honey and some rosewater.
- Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this twice a week for optimal results.
Avoid this remedy if you have sensitive skin as lemon juice is acidic and can cause redness and irritation.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood is known for reducing skin tan and rejuvenating the skin. Thus, it can help you recover your even skin tone.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder with 3-4 tablespoons of rosewater and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Apply the paste to your skin and leave it on until it dries completely.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Perform this remedy twice a week.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera not only fades skin tan and sunspots but also soothes sunburn.
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from a leaf and gently massage it into your skin.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Do this daily to soothe your tanned skin.
- Papaya Pulp: Papaya pulp can reduce skin discoloration as it is a fantastic skin exfoliator.
- Mix one cup of mashed papaya with 2 tablespoons of honey to make a firm paste.
- Apply it all over your face.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes.
- Do this twice a week to improve your skin tone.
- Gram Flour: Gram flour is used in traditional Indian medicine to soften the skin and reduce skin tan and sunspots.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour with some rosewater to make a thick paste. Apply it on the face or the body part and leave until it completely dries off. Later wash it off with cold water and perform this remedy twice a week to reduce the tan and the uneven appearance of the skin.
- Yogurt And Tomato Paste: Yogurt hydrates and soothes the skin. And tomatoes contain citric acid, which helps in removing the tan.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of tomato juice.
- Apply the pack liberally to the tanned skin.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water.
- Turmeric And Milk Paste: This natural cure is the finest choice for removing skin tan due to the skin-brightening effects of turmeric and the exfoliating benefits of milk.
- Mix a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric with 2-3 tablespoons of milk to make a firm paste.
- Spread the solution all over your tanned skin and let it dry.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy daily.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk replenishes the skin’s moisture loss and is very nutritious. Its moderate acidity and vitamin C content aid in tan removal.
- Soak a cotton ball in natural coconut milk and pat it all over your face.
- Let it dry before washing it off with a gentle cleanser.
- Follow this simple remedy twice daily.
- Vitamin E Cream: Vitamin E helps lighten the skin and restore the pigmentation damaged by sunlight. You should use a vitamin E-based cream every night to see favorable results.
- De-Tan Face Washes: You can also cleanse your face with a de-tanning face wash twice daily to get rid of your tan and sunspots. These cleansers work by exfoliating the upper layer of your skin with the help of natural ingredients like tomato, papaya, and lemon.
Clinical Treatments For Skin Discoloration
If you need to get rid of tan and sunspots immediately because you have an event coming up, you can opt for some clinical treatments for relatively instant results. These include:
- Laser Treatment: Laser therapy is one of the top treatments for restoring the natural skin tone. It can also fade the appearance of dark spots, acne scars, and other skin imperfections.
- Chemical Peel: The application of chemical peels promotes collagen synthesis. This process not only eliminates skin tan but also reduces acne scars and uneven skin tone.
- Hydroquinone: It’s one of the most prescribed medications for tan reduction. It acts as a skin-lightening agent by blocking the action of tyrosinase, an enzyme that plays an important role in melanin synthesis.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion might be a great choice if you want a less invasive skin discoloration treatment. This process cleanses the dead skin cells and other skin contaminants using particles of varied coarseness and a suction mechanism.
How To Prevent Sunspots And Tan
There are a few precautions you can take to protect your skin from tanning and preserve its natural tone and glow even during the summer. Here’s what you can do:
- Avoid Prolonged Sun Exposure: If you already have a tan, avoid spending too much time in the sun. It is best to use an umbrella when you are stepping out. Also, avoid wearing black or other dark colors as they absorb more sunlight. Take care of your eyes by wearing sunglasses. Finally, don’t forget to wear a hat when spending a day outdoors.
- Apply Sunscreen Religiously: You need to wear sunscreen every single day throughout the year, even if you are staying indoors. Sunscreen shields your skin from the damaging UV rays and delays the onset of aging. A sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and broad-spectrum protection is recommended.
A temporary tan is not the only skin issue that sunlight can cause. Sun damage is the leading cause of long-term hyperpigmentation, and you can do a lot to avoid it by wearing SPF and staying out of direct sunlight. Thankfully, you can use the natural remedies listed above to restore your natural skin tone. Try them out!
Khalil ur Rehman is a proud born and raised in Abbottabad. Khalil has worked as a journalist for nearly a decade having contributed to several large publications including the Yahoo News and The Verge. As a journalist for The Hear Up, Khalil covers climate and science news. [email protected]