In February of this year, I saw a discussion thread in Bahamut Electric Ying with the theme “Why do programs use Macs”. The content is rough that the landlord often sees that many Internet gods use MacBooks. In the past, the hardware specifications were not high and the price was expensive, but now the performance of the M1 series is good and the price is not so expensive, so he also wants to buy one and ask everyone’s opinion.
The discussion below is quite lively, of course, there will be battles coming and going, so let me have a relaxed chat!
Talk about MacBook
I have to say it first, since the MacBook released at the end of last year started to use its CPU M1, after not being limited to Intel’s CPU, its performance began to improve by leaps and bounds. For example, the 2020 MacBook Air is equipped with an initial dual-core Or a quad-core mobile i3 processor, and the 2021 new one is equipped with an M1 processor, which directly becomes an eight-core (4 large and 4 small), which are completely different grades of products. In the recently released MacBook Pro, M1 is used. Pro/Max, it is up to 10 cores (8 big and 2 small). LEARN MORE
The performance of the GPU is also very powerful. Under the heavy cost, the high-end multi-core GPU is not much worse than the high-end graphics card of the residual blood version on the general notebook. Of course, it depends on how many core GPUs are equipped, but the basic Shanghai is all about the sea.
The most powerful thing is that it uses the most advanced manufacturing process on the current notebook computer. Even if the performance is very high, the power consumption is very low, which completely leaves the CPU of other homes far away.
In terms of PCs with different architectures, Intel has only recently started selling 12th-generation CPUs with a 7nm process, and it’s hard to keep up with AMD’s Ryzen 3 series 7nm. And Apple’s M1 chip released at the end of 2020 is already using a 5-nanometer process. Intel and AMD have to cheer! When someone squeezed the apple toothpaste, it burst.
In addition to CPU, GPU hardware, RAM, SSD, screen and other equipment, even the touchpad of the MacBook is top-notch. If it is a Windows-based laptop, it should be impossible to find a configuration similar to that of a MacBook Pro.
What’s more amazing is the new Pro, the incredible bangs, I don’t know what the designer thinks…
The lowest-end MacBook Air, the previous version seemed to cost 30,000 yuan to buy a document machine with poor performance, but now Apple has given a very generous performance, replacing it with an M1 chip, this performance is also overtaken There is a lot of old i7s. For a laptop, this kind of performance can be said to be very sufficient if it is used as a clerical office. In addition, the other hardware is also of a high level. Such a 30,000 is not unreasonable. expensive.
The high-end MacBook Pro is divided into finer points. The cheapest 13-inch MacBook Pro costs about 40,000 yuan. However, since buying a Pro, it should also start to see the M1 Pro equipped with a new chip, which will start at 60,000 yuan. , up to M1 Max, if the memory and SSD are fully allocated, it can reach hundreds of thousands.
If it is said that Pro is used for office documents, it is a bit overkill, but for friends with better living conditions, it means spending more money to enjoy more advanced configurations. Pro, like M1 Pro or Max SOC, is more suitable for professional imaging and art-related work, because rendering, video output, etc. are more efficient. As a production tool, it is more expensive but more efficient. , you can produce more, and it will not be affected by the price.
So who is suitable for buying a MacBook?
people who don’t play electric
For a fat house like me, the biggest difference between Mac and Windows is probably the electric game. A large part of the graphics API of the game still uses Microsoft’s DirectX. Of course, Microsoft is used for Windows and Xbox. Although Apple has its Metal, However, the supported games are still limited. Also, the chip architecture of Apple’s M1 is different from that of Intel, so some APPs can only be used after being translated by Rosetta 2, which will affect the performance according to the degree of support. The main positioning of the Mac is still based on production tools, and you should have never heard of the Mac that focuses on e-sports!
However, if you want to play large-scale games, streaming modes such as Geforce Now or Stadia, etc., can be played, but that is not to use the performance of the machine, just to run.
Video editing, graphic design, art-related creators
The graphics performance doesn’t have much use in games, but it is very strong in video and audio creation. For example, Davinci resolve, which is frequently updated recently, has new support for M1 (Pro/Max). It can be seen on the Internet that many Macs using the M1 chip can process videos at an amazing speed. There are also considerable adjustments and optimizations for Apple computers in many design software.
In addition, Mac has a series of screens, such as MacBook, iMac, etc., all of which are very good screens. For users who require more color, they can save money on buying a drawing screen. Compared to PC users, you may have to look for a screen with a higher Adobe RGB % number, and the price is usually high.
Umar Nisar was born and raised in the busy city of Abbottabad. As a journalist, Umar Nisar has contributed to many online publications including PAK Today and the Huffing Post. In regards to academics, Umar Nisar earned a degree in business from the Abbottabad UST, Havelian. Umar Nisar follows the money and covers all aspects of emerging tech here at The Hear Up.
Great Resignation: How to beat Great Resignation with Employee Experience
The world was forever changed in late 2019 when the Coronavirus made its appearance. Countries shut down. Streets were empty. Companies held as best they could or were forced to close their doors. Many would believe that such an event would lead to employees wanting to hold on to their jobs. Typically, large numbers of resignations signify a good economy and abundant availability of jobs allowing people to follow passions instead of necessity.
Post-COVID employee experience is much different.
For two years, and some a bit more, people were forced to spend time alone, realigning the importance of human interaction, well-being, and happiness. This drive for more personal fulfilment, satisfaction, and growth stemmed The Great Resignation.
No longer were employees basing staying with jobs out of need or comfortability. Now they look for work-homelife balance, greater satisfaction and better employee experiences, or they will leave. So how do companies face this? How do they increase employee retention and improve employee engagement?
The secret is in employee experience.
Holistic Employee Experience
There are, of course, no quick fixes for the Great Resignation, small wins can motivate and drive longer-term goals for your organization. The Great Resignation—and COVID by extension—taught many employees that life meant so much more. That the daily grind working in offices with long commutes, stress, lack of rest or relaxation, and the hustle of strenuous work weeks while normal was not conducive to happiness and mental well-being.
But this shift can be used as a blueprint for better employee experience!
Companies who work on being human-centric in ideals, strategies, and decision-making can improve greatly their chances of stemming mass exodus. Post-covid employee experience is now the new golden standard, and it looks at taking a more comprehensive and holistic view of experiences.
How can you be more holistic and how does it help?
- Think beyond probationary periods – Your employees are more important than the first 30, 60, or 90 days of employment, and yet many companies stop professional development and training after these dates. Normalize career growth, evaluations, employee 360 reports, and feedback loops to keep learning and advancement in the scope of your employees. While doing this, you’re also keeping your strategies and Key Performance Indicators—KPIs—fresh as you go.
- Communication is key – Talk to your employees about what they need, want, desire, and what their ambitions may be. Learn your people like you want them to learn your company. With transparent and open communication, you are engaging with your employees and creating an environment of consistency, openness, and inclusion—aspects employees’ desire.
- Employee-centric Corporate Culture – It may seem like the best idea is to center your company culture around the company’s values, vision, and strategies, but this is only half the battle. Integrating employee experience into the fabric of company culture ensures the company is as focused on their employees’ happiness as their own. It creates a bond to grow engagement, which has an effect on employee satisfaction and experience. As these rates increase, so to can employee retention numbers and customer experiences.
- Life and work-balance Erasure – Should your employees have to ask for more work-life balance? No, they shouldn’t. When built directly into work environments or expectations, it becomes something standard instead of something to be sought after. Examples of this could be:
- Flex hours
- Unlimited PTO
- Work-from-home or hybrid offerings
- Expanded benefits to include mental health and free resources
- Altered work hour schedules
Rise of Human Experience
Human Experience is a viewpoint that blends aspects of customer experience with employee experience, important in a post-COVID world. Instead of viewing them as separate entities entirely, companies can connect metrics and measurements of both to view a more comprehensive experience. Employees are customers—or potential ones—and as such, so too can customers become employees. With this view, it refocuses employee experiences in direct answer to the needs stemming The Great Resignation.
Ways you can use CX strategies within EX:
- Employee Journey Mapping – Like in customer experience, companies can work on mapping journeys for positions within the company overall, building in professional development and growth from the outset. They can then alter these journeys through personalization when an employee fills that role.
- Monitoring metrics – connect goals, milestones, and trajectories with metric directly linked to KPIs. Think employee net promoter score (eNPS), employee experience (EX), employee satisfaction (ESAT), and employee engagement (EE), for example, as they can correlate with operational success as well as customer success with your organization.
- View of employees – view your employees with the importance you view your customers. You cannot survive without either, and just as you court customer loyalty for more profitable relationships, so to can employee relations boost revenue, growth, and expansion.
Remote and Hybrid Work
One of the lasting effects of COVID was the desire to work from home or have the flexibility to. According to Gallup, nearly half of full-time working Americans—45%—are still working remotely. White collar workers have even higher percentage, coming in at 70%. After the shutdown, many leaders were surprised to find employees still wanted to work remotely. The Pandemic exposed an internal need for conducive work environments and flexibility.
The office and all it entailed wasn’t as attractive as some leadership believed.
It was agile leadership who switched to maintaining remote or hybrid options who won out against competitors. Record job openings only further highlight how living is more important, and work can no longer be focused on only paying bills. Organizations who shift better with their employees retain talent better.
Remote work is not the only fix, but it does show how views of work’s place have vastly changed.
Act on Meaningful Feedback
Closing the loop between you and your employees is more important than ever before. Simply hearing them is not enough. Active, empathetic listening pair with actions on a consistent basis is the wining combination. Employees not only want to know they are heard but that their input is valued.
Regularly checking in with your employees, and not only attaching it to their performance, creates a culture of partnership.
Ways to gain meaningful feedback to inspire data-driven action:
- Employee 360 Review [LN1] [SP2] – not to be confused with an employee evaluation, the 360-degree review is a way for all employees to gain feedback from peers, subordinates, and managers to assist employee self-evaluation.
- Pulse checks – a powerful anonymous survey tool. Pulse checks are in between annual reviews and keep the feedback coming for HR initiatives, but it can also inform business strategies that are employee-focused as well.
- Surveys – From satisfaction to engagement, the best thing you can do is ask your employees. Working from assumptions can lead you down costly mistakes. By asking directly you can get their true opinions—think of using anonymity to influence candid responses.
The biggest takeaway from this is: employee experiences is an important part of operational success. The evolution of its importance and what it means cannot be discounted. Doing so can led to higher employee turnover rates and you won’t retain your best talent. As employee experience continues to change, the forward-thinking companies with innovative leadership will make it to the top.
[LN1]Would it be okay to tag our template here?
Yes, we can [SP2]
Khalil ur Rehman is a proud born and raised in Abbottabad. Khalil has worked as a journalist for nearly a decade having contributed to several large publications including the Yahoo News and The Verge. As a journalist for The Hear Up, Khalil covers climate and science news. [email protected]