Trucks carry heavy loads and cargo, making handling such vehicles on roads tricky. Thus, in trucks, you need an experienced driver to handle the heavy loads tactfully. If there is an accident in a truck, it can cause severe injuries; therefore, it is better to avoid such conditions.
However, there are some situations in which truck accidents become inevitable. It is a blend of negligence and technical causes that can lead to accidents. This article will discuss the common causes of truck accidents in Des Moines. If you are stuck in any such accident cases, you can consult a truck accident lawyer in Des Moines for better suggestions.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Speeding: Speeding a truck is never a good idea, as it can lead to deadly truck accidents. When you speed exceedingly, you lose control of the vehicle, and due to heavy loads, it can rebalance your vehicle and ultimately lead to a crash. It can have a catastrophic impact on someone who has suffered an accident. Therefore, avoiding such conditions and driving within the speed limit is better.
- Distracted Driving: While driving, you must focus significantly on the roads and your driving. If you are indulged in any activity such as texting, talking on phones, eating, drinking, or daydreaming, it can lead to distractions. Truck drivers are legally obliged to pay attention to the driving behind the wheels. If a driver cannot pay attention, it is known as negligent driving.
- Fatigue: Drivers spend hours driving, and therefore, it leads to fatigue. There is a legal regulation to limit the number of hours of driving for drivers, but some truck companies do not heed it. If the fatigue increases, the reaction time to any situation will be slow and poor; thus, it can lead to severe injuries.
- Mechanical Failures: Any mechanical failure with the truck or trailers can also cause truck accidents. This failure occurs when there is negligent maintenance of brakes, tires, or other defective parts. It is essential to keep these mechanical parts up-to-date so that there is no chance of accidents.
- Overload: If there is an overload in the trucks, it can lead to unbalanced driving and thus significantly affect the truck handles. The tire may blow out and lead to tip-over accidents, which can cause severe injuries to the other drivers.