Before getting discharged from a rehab in San Jose, you need to start looking for a halfway house in California. Finding one should not be too hard because any reliable directory on halfway houses should be able to give you suggestions. These facilities are designed to help recovering addicts slowly get back to a normal life. These are temporary living residences to help addicts take baby steps to go back to their earlier lives, especially when there is no support system at home.
How can a halfway house in San Jose help your recovery from addiction?
- The first few days out of rehab can be most challenging as temptations must be controlled even when there is no surveillance. It is these halfway houses which help to create the perfect environment for a faster recovery for addicts. The manager at a halfway home is responsible for making sure its residents are clean and sober. He arranges for regular drug and alcohol tests to ensure there is no substance abuse during their stay there.
- Since most halfway homes are run and managed by past addicts they are actually beneficial for those battling addiction issues. The staff who have been victims of addiction before are aware of triggers and know how best to keep the residents off drugs and alcohol. They are in the best position to advise them about ways to keep their cravings in control. Halfway homes are called sober living homes for this reason. Once the residents have stayed sober here and adjusted to a new lifestyle here, they are more confident to move on independently.
- In a halfway house, a recovering addict will get the support and guidance from peers which he could not have got anywhere else. He is encouraged to work, to participate in house chores, and to contribute to society. He is even motivated to attend local AA meetings to strengthen his resolve on maintaining sobriety.
While finding a “sober living near California” may not be an issue, you should research a few facilities before deciding on any one. There have been instances of halfway homes being run by unscrupulous people, often realtors, looking to make some money. You cannot expect to feel secure or stay sober in such an environment. So, there are some important checks that you need to do before moving in:
- Make sure to read reviews about halfway houses in San Jose, California, before you move in. It is advisable to visit a credible directory site for information on locations of halfway homes.
- The facility you choose must be run by a capable manager who runs routine drug tests and keeps peace in the house.
- The house residents must be made to follow rules and respect curfew hours. There should be strict punishments for flouting such rules.
- House residents should be asked to find employment to pay for their rents. This keeps them occupied, less distracted and more focused, and financially responsible.
So, if you or your loved one is likely to get discharged soon from an addiction treatment facility, take time to research halfway homes for yourself. A halfway house can be a stepping stone for a quicker and more wholesome recovery for the addict.
Umar Nisar was born and raised in the busy city of Abbottabad. As a journalist, Umar Nisar has contributed to many online publications including PAK Today and the Huffing Post. In regards to academics, Umar Nisar earned a degree in business from the Abbottabad UST, Havelian. Umar Nisar follows the money and covers all aspects of emerging tech here at The Hear Up.
How to Prepare for a Long-Distance Move
More than 27,059,000 people move each year, whether traveling across the state or the country. Regardless of when you’re preparing for a long-distance move, there are several things you’ve got to be aware of ahead of time.
We’ve created a checklist that you can use full of packing tips and other things you need to know, like the importance of hiring movers to aid in the big move. The more prepared you are, the easier and more stress-free the move will be.
Get ready to settle into your new home after you check out these need-to-know packing tips below.
When moving to NY from California, you need to plan ahead. You need to do this to get everything in order, such as shutting off the utilities and turning it on at the new location before you’re scheduled to arrive.
The last thing you want to do is risk arriving at your new place and not having running water or working electricity when you get there. Another reason you want to plan ahead is that if you’ve decided to hire movers, you’ll need to coordinate the day they plan to pick up your items and deliver them to the new house.
Again you don’t want to arrive at your home and the movers not arrive with your items on the day you expect them to. Not only does this leave you without your necessities, but it could also mean you pay additional delivery fees that you’d not planned for.
If it helps, you could make a list of everything you need to do before you are set to move. We recommend making this list ahead of time so that you don’t feel rushed at the last minute to get everything completed.
Moving lots of items a long distance can be tricky, especially if you’re not used to driving a moving truck. Before you’re set to move, make a list of the best movers in your area.
You can do this by creating a list of mover names and estimates from your area. Ensure you have them clarify what you’re paying for because most rental companies provide a specific number of miles locally and out of state that could increase your overall rental price.
You’ll also want to inquire about the insurance needed to schedule movers to come and help transport your items. Ensure you get the estimates for each type of vehicle they offer.
When the move is complete, the larger the vehicle and the more movers you need, the higher the rental price. Once you’ve decided which moving company you’re going to work with, take the next steps to set your reservation.
If you’re making the appointment over the phone, ask the company to send you a confirmation email once the phone call has concluded. This will ensure you have tangible evidence of your appointment reservation just in case something comes up the day of the move where you need to contact the moving company.
When you move a long distance, it’s in your best interest to only pack the items you need and discard items you no longer use. The best way to do this is to take some time to declutter your home before you begin packing.
Make a pile of the items you need to get rid of, whether that means donating or discarding them accordingly. While it might prove to be a time-consuming process, in the long run, it will pay off when you don’t have to do these things while unpacking in your new home.
This is especially true if you’re downsizing and don’t have enough room to store all the items that you have currently in your home or apartment. Another reason to declutter your home is so that you can effectively determine how much packing material you need to pack, such as boxes and packing tape.
Check your local area for packing items because there are several places online where people want to get rid of their extra boxes for free. This can help you to save on packing expenses.
When you move into your new place, the last thing you want to happen is for essential items to be mailed to your previous email. This means you need to take the steps necessary to forward your mail to your new address, which can be done online via the united states postal service website.
When forwarding your mail, ensure you list the names of everyone moving and the address of the new home. Then you will need to specify a date when you want the mail to begin being sent to the new location.
Along with forwarding your mail, you need to remember to change the address on other government documentation, such as:
- Car registration
- Drivers license
- Voter registration
When you don’t place your new address on these documentation forms, completing other things you need to complete after you’ve moved can become challenging.
When you’re moving a long distance, the last thing you want to do is travel back to your previous residence to take care of things that should’ve been completed before the move.
When preparing for a long-distance move, you need to know several things, such as ensuring you forward your mail ahead of time. You should also remember to schedule movers and request estimates to help move your belongings from one place to another.
If you want to know more about this topic, continue to scroll through the posts in this section.
Khalil ur Rehman is a proud born and raised in Abbottabad. Khalil has worked as a journalist for nearly a decade having contributed to several large publications including the Yahoo News and The Verge. As a journalist for The Hear Up, Khalil covers climate and science news. [email protected]